Windows 10 — It Begins for Real

I thought I would be waiting until fall of 2015 for Windows 10 and then until early 2016 for Windows 10 books to order, but did I get a pleasant surprise. Windows 10’s initial release date is July 29, 2015. I know this is old news, but I’m not the kind who likes to wait around, so I just check periodically.

Now of course, the fun really begins. My first goal is to learn as much in advance about this new software as I can. I have several questions:

*Can I push the tiles around so that they work with a big-picture wall paper?
*Can I coordinate the tiles with my wallpaper. I know I already get my own wallpaper.
*Can the task bar go to the right side. I keep my icons on the left and task bar on the right.
*Will Windows 10 work with the “Oak Tree” and GIMP?
*Will Windows 10 require a touch enabled screen?
*When will the first Windows 10 books come out?

The last question is in some ways the most important. The first two or three questions have to deal with “breaking a computer to my will,” something I just need to do, and making a cozy, well organized nest. My office tends to be…. but my computer is always a place where beauty and order reigns. I want and need to keep it that way.

And here is another question: “Will Windows 10 still use a hierarchical directory/folder system?” I live and die by this one.

The touch screen question is just plain interesting too. My first memories of touch screens like those of mice are terrible. There was a computerized supermarket directory in the Great American on Mohawk Street in Utica, New York back in the 1990’s. It was broken more often than it was fixed. The first mice I encountered back in Carpenter Hall in the 1980’s and the printers for early Macs also had fragility issues.

I can understand the skepticism surrounding touch screens. Some of it, however, is ill founded. When using a vertical or semi-vertical touch screen, one would not extend one’s arm for minutes at a time. One would either reach, swipe or touch, and then go back to the keyboard. or one would put one’s elbow on the desk and point. This sounds awful, but a small pillow placed under an elbow, can relieve many issues. I learned this from ladies doing phone work in Syracuse, years ago.More likely, a touch screen will suffer from the same issue the touch screen on my sidekick or plastic bags at the Farmers Market have. Cold, dry, or excessively sweaty fingers won’t work. Hopefully a pampered, indoor touch screen will be happier then a phone that lives in a purse. And after all, we have put up with dirty mice and scuzzy mouse pads.

And this article is about Windows 8 but it also deals with touch screens.

I am not sure how GIMP or Oak Tree is going to work with a touch screen. I guess I have more research to do.