About Me

I retired from Georgia Perimeter College in 2015.  I now teach mathematics part-time at Georgia State University’s Perimeter College (the former GPC).  At GPC, I served as Director of the Learning and Tutoring Centers across all five campuses.

Prior to returning to academia, I worked in corporate IT  for twenty-three years including seventeen in management, implementing and supporting information technology in multiple corporations. I started as a FORTRAN programmer and many years and a few corporations later became Chief Information Officer for a major Atlanta corporation.

I earned an AA in liberal arts from Hillsborough Community College, a BA and MA in mathematics from the University of South Florida, and a doctorate in developmental education from Grambling State University.  My dissertation title: Institutional Responses to Underprepared Students at the University of Georgia: 1801 – 2001.

I am a Past President of the National College Learning Center Association and recipient of NCLCA’s Lifetime Achievement Award.  I was NCLCA’s representative to CLADEA for seven years (last two as vice chair), past Secretary and Treasurer of the Georgia Tutoring Association, and Content Editor and Webmaster of LSCHE. I am also a member of the American Evaluation Association, the History of Education Society, the American Mathematical Association of Two-year Colleges, the Association for the Coaching and Tutoring Profession, the National Association for Developmental Education, and the College Reading and Learning Association. I am the webmaster for CLADEA.  I am a USAF veteran, married, and a great-grandfather.

Alan Craig

alan_craig