This page is for various presentations I have made over the past few years. Only the latest version of a given presentation is listed here. (FYI–The “Help I’m A New Director” presentation has been given as a 1 hour presentation, a 3 hour workshop, and an all day workshop. The most recent incarnation is “The New Director’s Toolkit.”) Many of the handouts get updated frequently, so only the latest version is shown here.
- Association for the Coaching & Tutoring Profession Conference–Pre-conference Session: Making the Magic Happen: Ideas, Resources, and Tools for New Tutoring Center Directors in Orlando, FL, March 17, 2019.
- ACTP Pre-Conference Presentation 3-17-19 (MS PowerPoint)
- Best/Promising Practices for Learning Centers (Frank Christ)
Twelve Key Questions (Karen Smith)
Advisory Board Recommendations Worksheet (MS Word) for Starting and Operating a learning center advisory board.
Advisory Board NCLCA newsletter article from 2005
LC Handbook Topics / Marketing & PR (two-in-one)
Status Report Template (and example)
Weblinks to examples on the internet
Link to CRLA Whitepaper on Assessment of Learning Assistance Programs (Karen Agee, Jan Norton)
Link to LRNASST
Link to LSCHE
Link to The Learning Assistance Review archives
- National College Learning Center Association Conference regular session: Unleash the Power of an Advisory Board for Your Learning Center in Niagara Falls, NY, October 3, 2018.
- Advisory Board presentation (MS PowerPoint)
- Recommendations Worksheet for Starting and Operating a Learning Center Advisory Board
- Craig, A., Richardson, E., & Harris, J. (2018). Learning center advisory boards: Results of an online exploratory survey. The Learning Assistance Review, 23(2), 85-112. [Available to NCLCA members at https://nclca.wildapricot.org/tlar]
- National College Learning Center Association Conference Preconference session: New Director’s Toolkit in Niagara Falls, NY, October 2, 2018.
- NCLCA Pre-Conference Presentation 10-2-18 (MS PowerPoint)
- For handouts see above for latest versions.
- National College Learning Center Association Conference in San Antonio, TX, September 27, 2017.
- New Director’s Toolkit PowerPoint Presentation. For handouts see above for latest versions.
- National College Learning Center Association Institute in Milwaukee, WI, June 25-28, 2017. Held at the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee. NCLCA_2017_Institute_Presentation For handouts see above for latest versions.
- National College Learning Center Association Conference in Tampa, FL, October 1, 2016. nclca-post-con-presentation-10-1-16. See above for latest handouts.
- National College Learning Center Association Institute in Albany, NY, June 27-29, 2016. NCLCA Institute Presentation. Handouts: Advisory Board, Best/Promising Practices, Status Report Template/Example, Twelve Key Questions, Website Award Criteria, LC Handbook Topics, References, Web Links (see above for updated versions of handouts).
- National College Learning Center Association Conference in Milwaukee, October 5, 2015: New Director’s Toolkit Part 1 (3 hour morning workshop) and New Director’s Toolkit Part 2 (3 hour afternoon workshop).
- Association for the Tutoring Profession/Association of Colleges for Tutoring and Learning Assistance Joint Conference in San Francisco, March 31, 2015: Ideas for New Tutoring Center Administrators (1 hour session)
- Georgia Perimeter College Tutor Conference March 2013 and 2014: The Big Bang Theory of Math Tutoring (see GATA tab for latest version of this presentation)
- Co-presenter of the Council of Learning Assistance and Developmental Education Associations 3 hour workshop on conducting research presented at NADE, ATP, and NCLCA in 2013. My portion was Research tools–Not the Usual Suspects
- History of Education Society Conference in Chicago, November 6, 2011: Institutional Responses to Underprepared Students at the University of Georgia, 1801—2001 Part 1: Grammar School (a presentation of a portion of my dissertation)
- College Reading and Learning Association Northeast Conference Keynote Presentation in Bridgeport, CT, April 24, 2009: From Podcasting to Edupunk (on technology, outdated but has some material still relevant, plus a quote from a song lyric by Iggy Pop)
- F. Lane Hardy Mathematics Seminar at Georgia Perimeter College, November 3, 2008: Call the Feds! We’ve Got Nested Radicals! (Accessible to students in college algebra with the exception of a little bit of trigonometry)